Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hello, Summer!

At last. It has come. Thanks to ridiculous amounts of snowfall and close to two weeks of snow days, today is the last day of school. I am gladly bidding farewell (but not adieu) to some of our everyday habits. Give me a couple of months, and I'll be begging for them to return...So, have a cool summer, see you next fall, HAGS, BFF, TLA, LYLAS and KIT.

Goodbye, alarm clock beeps. 5:20 am has not been my friend.

Goodbye, sending off kids to school in the dark.

Goodbye, lunch packing.

Goodbye, ziploc baggies. I will return to singlehandedly destroying the earth with your non-biodegrading in September.

Goodbye, bedtime Nazi. Look out, 8:30. My kids are coming for you. Nothing but reckless abandon here.

Goodbye, crumpled up and forgotten homework.

Goodbye, jackets on the floor--maybe I'll finally put you away.

Goodbye, Nick Jr. Spongebob and Phineas and Ferb are moving in full-time. Ferb, I know what we're gonna do today.

Goodbye, kindergarten, second, fifth, seventh and ninth grades. We'll catch up with you in a couple of years.

Goodbye, bed head. The Buzz Cut Bros are back in town.

Goodbye, stomping 13-YO at 7:00 am. We'll see you at 9:00.

Goodbye, looooong walk to the bus stop with a reluctant 3-year-old.

Goodbye, tear-filled IEP meetings.

Goodbye, heart palpitations. I will take a break from panicking when I see the school's number on the caller ID.

Goodbye, imagined hand-held signs*. We'll need you again in the fall, so stay cool and remember your order. No, nothing is going on at home. Yes, he is being fed regularly. No, he is not abused. Yes, I am aware--I live with him. Yes, he is taking medication. Trust me, you can't tell me anything that will surprise me anymore. No, I really don't have any idea how to fix that--I'm sorry. Your guess is as good as mine.

Goodbye, clothing drama. The 8-YO redhead can wear anything she pleases, and I don't even care if it's dirty.

Goodbye, dirty socks all over the house. Flip flops and Crocs work wonders for the housekeeping.

Goodbye, peaceful afternoons. I will miss you.

Goodbye, Tuesday folders, signatures and library day.

Goodbye, homework that really should not be done in the morning.

Goodbye, semblance of order.

Hello, Entropy. Mi casa es su casa.


*Each year upon getting new teachers, administrators, etc for El Nino Espicy, I imagine myself holding up auction-like paddles with these phrases. I get tired of repeating myself until they believe me.



No comments:

Post a Comment